12 June 2019
Independent Retail Europe is looking to recruit a Head Legal Affairs for its 5-person team in Brussels. Applications can be sent until 15 July to: job@IndependentRetailEurope.eu
Independent Retail Europe is the European trade association of independent retailer groups. The association was established in 1963 to promote the business model of independent retailer groups and to represent their interest in EU policy and legislation development. We work on a wide-ranging set of EU policy issues that concern the modern food and non-food retail sector.
In order to support our regulatory and advocacy activities, we are looking to employ a pro-active, dynamic Head European Legal Affairs for a hands-on European affairs function which requires knowledge of competition law and English mother tongue. The Head European Legal Affairs works closely with the Director General as well as the other members of the team: The senior legal adviser, the senior policy adviser and the office manager. This is a challenging hands-on position for a dynamic and experienced public affairs professional.
- Developing and leading the implementation of advocacy strategies of the association in cooperation with the Director General and other members of the team;
- Identifying and analysing relevant policy and regulatory initiatives at EU level;
- Developing positions and responses to consultations on regulatory issues;
- Proactively driving the agenda and action implementation;
- Representing the association in EU advisory and working groups and at relevant fora;
- Building and maintaining relationships with EU Institutions and stakeholders;
- Working in close cooperation with members and ensure they are properly informed on developments and initiatives;
- Providing creative ideas and solutions for advocacy, events and further outreach.
- Masters level law degree – with good knowledge of competition law;
- Between 8-15 years’ experience in European affairs (e.g. trade association, consultancy, corporate representation…);
- Excellent understanding of the functioning of the EU Institutions and legislative process;
- English mother tongue and –ideally- proficient in both French and German; Alternatively, English mother tongue and proficient in either French or German, with a basic understanding of the other;
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills; experience in networking in political circles;
- Dynamic self-starter and strong team player, quality and result-oriented, enjoying an international working environment and working in a small team;
- Ability to interact with high level policy makers, corporate counsels and CEOs;
- Ability to travel.
- Knowledge of the digital economy (data economy, card payments, e-commerce etc.), supply chains (food or non-food), food law and food safety legislation is a plus;
Starting period: autumn 2019. We offer a competitive remuneration package commensurate to experience. Please send your CV and cover letter with indication of expected monthly salary by 15 July 2019 to Else Groen: Job@IndependentRetailEurope.eu
We respect GDRP rules.